Has the gap between price and performance finally been filled by OEM Tools’ Impact Wrench? Let’s take a closer look to find out.
A Few Years Ago,
the only way to obtain a truly effective, battery-powered impact wrench was to fork over the dough for brands like DeWalt, Ingersoll-Rand, Milwaukee, or Makita. Today, however, the playing field has balanced out a lot and, although it still has a ways to go, there are more options for us in performance, quality, price, and ultimately, value.
The 24481 Cordless Impact Wrench from OEMTOOLS is another fairly recent development that attempts to bridge the gap between price and performance. This one-tool kit comes with battery and charger, so one needn’t worry about it being a bare tool, lone wolf setup.
However, due to the very nature of Price vs. Performance and before we get all wrapped up in something that seems too good to be true, we must ask the question “Does this impact wrench really give us the bang-for-the-buck that we need?”
Well, Let’s Answer That Question Now
- Voltage: 20 Volts
- Anvil Size: 1/2 In.
- 2 Speed Transmission
- 0-2,200 RPM (Revolutions Per Minute)
- 0-2,900 IPM (Impacts Per Minute)
- Nut Busting Torque: 300 lbs per square foot
- Tightening Torque: 260 lbs per square foot
- One (1) 4 Ah Li-ion Rechargeable Battery
- Charging Station
- Weight: 9.8 lbs
- Carrying Case which holds the impact, charger, and battery
- The first and obvious main benefit to this OEMTools impact is the price point. For just a little over $100, you can have a portable impact that includes both the battery and the charger. With several other brands, this can quickly become rather pricey, especially for the charger.
- The second benefit of the drill would have to be how it performs straight out of the box. The setup is easy, quick, and immediately surprising to most because it actually does have some good power and gets standard tasks done. Several users have reported how happy they are with the performance thus far, along with their surprise in its power. Currently it is enjoying a high-rating from its users, so this is an important factor to consider.
- A third benefit of this impact is the amount of time needed to get the battery fully charged. The Lithium-Ion system that OEMTools uses seems to respond well both in speed of charging and usage, so this is definitely a win-win for customers.
- Our last point is that OEM Tools has clearly made HUGE improvements over their last model, which did not enjoy near the amount of praise this model has, though it was cheaper in price. The company deserves credit for their dedication to build a better product.
- As with all things, one must have a degree of experience over time before being able to properly decide just how worthy something–or someone–really is, and that’s our first point. While the current customer rating and feedback for this cordless impact wrench is great, the fact of the matter is that it is still relatively young and new, without much feedback. Time will be the deciding factor as to whether or not this tool continues to enjoy the same reputation.
- The second point to consider is that this cordless impact doesn’t include a second battery, so when you’re out of juice, well…you’re out of juice. The charger does get you going again rather quickly, but if you’re like me, then one battery just doesn’t cut it when you’re busy. However, if you aren’t in such a hurry, then it’s a moot point.
- A third and related point is that the spare batteries are not what we would call “value priced.” If you desire a backup or replacement battery, then your cost will increase dramatically and cause you to spend more than you probably wanted when you bought the drill in the first place. No major issues seem to exist with the included battery thus far, but if you’re looking for a spare battery for your OEMTools impact, then it’ll probably run you around $60 and up.
In a nutshell, there isn’t a lot of long-term testing information available for the OEMTools battery-powered impact wrench. However, using information from the past year in combination with both current customer ratings and previous models, we can make some of our own common-sense conclusions.
One of those conclusions is that we wouldn’t consider this particular impact wrench a “professional” tool, even with the current high-rating it has. The power–as we mentioned before–is a bit surprising for the cost, but it still doesn’t match up against the big boys in the power department. In short, there’s just not comparison when it comes to the torque performance. However, what this impact wrench does offer is better-than-average performance for a much better price, and the fact that it includes the tool, charger, battery, and case together is just another reason to make it endearing enough to buy. It’s quite possible that this all-in-one kit would be an excellent choice for charging up and tossing in the trunk of your car.
If you’re looking for an affordable impact wrench that has good performance without the premium price tag, then perhaps this could be your match. However, if you are a professional or are looking for a daily tool to grind out the long days at the shop, perhaps a more expensive brand would suit you. If you are interested in picking up an impact to diversify your toolbox or just gift your husband or old man, then this could also be a great match. Either way, we hope this helps clear up the decision for you!
For a more detailed look at more of the OEMTools product line, check out this short, informative video: