If you have been using DIY power tools for some time, then you’ll probably be rather familiar with the Milwaukee brand,
and now that they offer the M18 18V Combo Kit, there’s an even greater reason than ever to add to your at-home arsenal.
Good ‘ol Milwaukee–Mi-Lay-Wah-Kay, according to Alice Cooper–has released a wide range of combo tools over recent years, and now they’ve got a 6-tool combo available just right for the do-it-yourselfer and home user. We sank our teeth into this combo, and while it may seem like overkill for casual use, the quality, craftsmanship and performance are top of the line–par for this company’s course–and for the right customer, definitely worth buying.
- First off, the ½” cordless driver/drill is powered by a frameless/four pole motor, providing you with 0-400/0-1,800 RPM and 500 in./lbs. torque for optimum performance
- The toolset also includes a hex impact driver (¼ in). This also has a 4-pole frameless motor, providing you with a fastening torque of 1,500 in./lbs.
- A 6 ½” cordless circular saw is included with power up to 3,500 RPM
- The Milwaukee 6 Tool Combo also comes with the dual-gear Hackzall reciprocating saw. The saw comes with a Quik-Lok blade clamp so it’s easy to remove the blade.
- In case these tools haven’t managed to brighten up your day enough, you can always slap on the 150 lumens LED light, which is included with this kit. The beam is fixed-focus and shines up to 50 feet.
- An 4 1/2″ angle grinder also comes with this group of toys, operating at a no-load speed of 9,000 RPM.
- All the tools use Redlithium battery technology for superior performance. This also allows each tool to produce more work for each charge
- The tools also use Redlink intelligence for protection against overloading. Redlink also works acts a means for the tools and batteries to communicate and reduce the possibility of overheating
In Summary, this Package Consists of:
- A hammer drill/driver
- An impact driver
- A reciprocating saw
- A circular saw
- An LED light
- An angle grinder
- Two (2) rechargeable Li-Ion batteries
- A charger, a 6 ½”
- One (1) circular saw blade
- A Carrying Case Contractor Bag
- A metal chuck and gear case is also included
- Last but definitely not least, all the tools have a 5-year warranty
- Durable construction
- Ergonomic design
- Consistent performance
- Longer run time compared to most other tools
Points to Consider
- Too many tools for the absolute beginner
- Instructions could have used more details
Taken individually, each of the tools excels in what they’re supposed to do, and in many cases, they do better than those on other combo tools.
The saws, drill driver and impact driver also have the right balance of weight, power and ergonomics so you’ll be at ease while using the tool. The tools don’t need a lot of maintenance, so wear and tear won’t be a problem.
The rare earth magnets integrated in the drill driver do their part in prolonging its lifespan. Its torque and RPM are the best in its range, and this allows you to finish more of your projects.
The 3,450 IPM and 2,750 RPM of the impact driver says a lot about its power, and operation is smooth and consistent. The 1,500 in./lbs. torque delivers the goods for rapid fastening and driving. You can do the same with other impact drivers, but it’s not going to be this quick.
Now let’s take a look at the circular and reciprocating saws.
Like most other tool combo sets, the Milwaukee has a 6 ½” circular saw. Cutting and ripping is straightforward, and it’s pretty darn difficult to get the blade stuck thanks to its RPMs. We also want to take note of its lower and upper guards; these are made of magnesium and provide a lot of durability.
As for the reciprocating saw, the specs given earlier show what it is capable of, and it doesn’t disappoint when it comes to actual use. Cutting wood, plastic and other materials is rather smooth, and it doesn’t quite have the vibration that other reciprocating saws do.
The Quik-Lok blade clamp lets you change the Hackzall and Sawzall blades without the need for using any tools. Combined with the convenience of its vibration control mechanism, it is easy to see why this is one of the most used tools in the Milwaukee combo set.
One of the reasons why these tools perform so well is the Redlithium battery technology we mentioned earlier. With it, you get more torque so you’re able to do more in less time. The run time is also longer, so you don’t have to wait around for each tool to recharge.
Should you buy it?
In a word, yes, you should.
Well, that is, if you are looking for an above-average, combination tool set.
The Milwaukee 6-tool combo was designed to meet the needs of most DIYers–and we believe that it clearly does that. With the tools inside this bag from The Good Land, you have the means to drill, impact, grind, shine, cut, and drive a wide range of applications.
This tool set is also for those who want the latest technology in their tool chests. Milwaukee makes a big deal of the technologies used in these tools, and they don’t disappoint. Performance wise, you may end up using one tool over the others, but overall, they’re very reliable.
Combo tools can be hit or miss, but the Milwaukee 6 Tool Combo Kit is a hit. Each of the tools is well-made and provides a consistently solid performance. If you’re a weekend warrior, contractor, or like to do a lot of home improvement work yourself, the Milwaukee Combo Tool could be the ideal companion to help you get it done before your old lady gets cranking with the nagging! After all–you said you’d get it done, so don’t you think you should start RIGHT NOW?
Milwaukee also offers a large variety of videos showcasing their wares, so why not cruise over there and give’em a once-over if you still need some more info?